Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Taking a Deep Breath...

There is a baby at daycare that does not like to be held.  His name isn't Harrison. (Not AT ALL)  It's Brayden.   Brayden doesn't get a whole lot of attention, from what I've seen, probably because he doesn't require it.  When Peyton and I first heard that this baby was the complete opposite of Harrison, we thought, "Oh, what an easy baby he must be!"  But that really only lasted a couple of seconds.  Harrison may want to be held all the time, but so what?  Someday, he's not going to want to be held, he's going to want to go running as fast as he can in the opposite direction of us, giggling devilishly.  I can already tell he's going to be that way someday.  The kid can't wait to move. So if he wants to be held for the next 2-3 years, I'll oblige.  I'm not spoiling him, I'm letting him know he's secure, I'm comforting him, I'm making him feel safe and loved, and if it makes him one of the "high maintenance" kids at daycare?  Again...so what?  We are paying them quite a bit, after all.  And every morning as we walk down the hall to the back of the daycare where the infant rooms are, everyone looks up to say, "Good morning, Harrison!"  Teachers I've never even seen in his room before.  Yesterday, when we picked him up, he was in a different classroom with the babies that crawl and being held by one of the teachers (from a different room) who loves Harrison so much, she comes to hold him every chance she can get.  Harrison is spoiled everywhere he goes, I guess.  


I could complain about having to get up with him last night to suction the snot out of his nose so he could breathe, or about how we have to drop him off in a classroom with the older kids while he waits for his teacher to arrive, and the older kids pester him.  I could freak out about them giving him the wrong formula yesterday morning and probably making his tummy hurt.  But the fact is, Harrison demands a lot of attention, and they are doing their best to give it to him.  He's going to get sick no matter what daycare he attends, he's going to be around kids who don't have me and Peyton as parents (and therefore aren't as cute...or clean).  He's going to have good days and bad days, fussy days and playful days.  It's all going to be ok.  He was fed the wrong formula because we walked in and told two people who have never fed him that he needed to be fed, and we did nothing to clarify what he eats, or to help get his bottle ready.  We just expected everything to go perfectly, and forgot that Harrison is not the only baby at daycare.  We said he would be hungry soon, and they jumped on the task.  


We almost lost our minds a couple of times, with two of us taking care of one baby.  These ladies have been nothing but patient and loving to every baby in Harrison's room, and there's two of them taking care of nine.  We don't have it so bad.  We just need to relax and learn to trust.  


In the meantime, I'm going to continue to do most household tasks with a baby in one arm, and to just smile when they tell me Harrison doesn't let them hold any other babies.  I bet they don't even want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment